Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day

Today was my first Mothers Day. My first being a mother that is. Like most new mothers, I envisioned waking up to breakfast in bed, being taken to an early dinner, then spending the rest of the day with my child and husband. And of course given a card and flowers.
So, when my husband woke up two hours after me, refused to help get the baby dressed, and my breakfast consisted of a bowl of dry Kix I had to put off my hunger..... I was a little dissapointed. Plus, no flowers and no card.
As the day went on, I was determined to put my dissapointment behind me. I figured surely my husband would make up for it later that day. So we eventually got out of the house to pick up an item, and afterwards my husband asked me where did I want to go to eat since it was Mothers Day. So we went to one restaurant, but once I saw it I changed my mind. So, my husband took me to another, but the line was out the door. He said, "ohh H-- no" and turned around the car, without even asking my input.
So we ended up driving around a total of 2 hrs b/c he didn't want to go where I wanted to eat. Then we got into an argument and I finally yelled at him, "It's Mothers Day!! Not what you want to do day!!" I told him to take me home. I was so upset, I was in tears. He wouldn't even let me listen to the radio station I wanted to.
As we pull into our neighborhood, about to be home, my husband turned the car around and took me to the place I wanted to eat. He also turned to the station I wanted to listen to. Then he admits that he forgot today was Mothers Day, and that this past week he was thinking it was the next weekend, and he planned taking me to the spa. He didn't realize he was wrong until late last night, that is why he didn't get me anything. Though I was still somewhat pissed, it at least made me feel better that he finally told the truth.
We arrived to the restaurant, and as we are standing in line, he asks me what do I really want to do. I told him that all I want is to get food to-go, go home, watch a movie, and spend the rest of the day with my family. So, that is what we did, and it was better than the cheesiest Hallmark card you can buy.
Looking back, I really had a good day. No, I didn't have the picture perfect day that you see on t.v., but I had a wonderful evening with my husband and baby. And even though my husband "had his dates mixed up" I know he means well. But he still owes me a facial!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad. I was expeting the same thing with it being my first mothers day also. And when my husband asked me what I wanted weeks ago... I told him "a day at the spa." But he instead buys me a coach purse. The purse is very nice but IT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED!!!!!! Why is it so hard to take direction?
    So instead of feeling pampered for all the hard work I do as a new mother.... I'm still tired, worn out and I guess it'll be okay because I'm carrying an overpriced bag on my wrist (insert sarcasism here).
    On the day before Mother's day... I said "screw it." I bought myself a facial since my husband didn't. And when he continued to ask if he could get me anything for mother's day I told him just to be romantic/sentimental. Not to spend a lot of money, but just do something from the heart. That morning he went to Meier and bought a card (notice the excitement). It had a few sentences in it about me being a good wife and mom. But then he told me that he was going to be working out & doing other stuff for the rest of the day. WTH???? That's it!!!
    I carry your child, disfigure my body, scream & cry during labor, push out your child, take care of you child, pump for & nurse your child day & night no matter how tired I am AND ALL I GET IS A $2.00 CARD FROM THE GROCERY STORE!!!
    So when he asked me if I wanted to hang out with his family later I said NO! Why would I want to go around his family so his mom could tell me everything I'm doing wrong as a mother? I didn't mind him being with his mom, but dang.... this was supposed to be my day.
    So I told him I was going to come home and clean the house and do laundry. All of a sudden a light bulb went off in his head that Hay... maybe he should help. But it turns out that he didn't clean because he wanted to; because he wouldn't dare want his wife, the mother of his first child to lift a finger on her first mother's day>>>> he did it for selfish reasons. He just didn't want to hear me complain later while I was cleaning.

    Oh yeah, not to mention thar I had to beg him to go out to eat with me that afternon & I PAID FOR THE MEAL! Then he has the nerve to ask "Am I mad at him?" I wanted to ask "Are you slow?"
    How could he not realize how I would feel after a day like that? I didn't ask for fireworks... I just wanted him to think of me... and what I would want instead of what he wants for me. I appreciate the purse and card, but I'm hurt that I will never again get to experience another "first mother's day."

    ReplyDelete